There are many factors that influence a sites ranking in voice search results. To figure out which factor is most important, Backlinko conducted an extensive analysis.
Here are the findings:
- Page speed is crucial. Most of the results were from fast loading pages.
- Domain authority is of absolute importance.
- Content that ranks well on the desktop also ranks well on voice search.
- Surprisingly, Schema is not that important factor as only 36% of sites that ranked well on voice search results were using schema.
- 41% of Voice search results came from featured snippets.
- HTTPS is an absolute must.
This research debunked the myth that Schema is of absolute importance. The research also made it clear that page speed is CRUCIAL. All the results that listed well on voice search were almost 2 times faster than traditional pages.
Google’s reliance on domains with high authority for providing voice search results comes from the tendency that they “may” provide higher accuracy as compared to domain’s with less authority. But it is possible that they will come up with a more sophisticated approach for the same in near future.
The research also shed some light on the importance of long-form content. People speak more words that they type, so it’s natural that pages that use comprehensive content will reign supreme in this area.
However, you don’t have to specifically optimize your site’s content for voice search, writing in-depth content will suffice.
On a side note, virtual assistants are on the rise. So the marketers who are willing to offer their clients the latest digital marketing technology should take these platform seriously.