If you or any of your clients has a mobile business, like plumbing service, landscapers or any business that is always on the move – we have good news for you.
Google wants to help those who service multiple areas by showing their service area & business information on Google Search and Maps. You can enter the area you are generally in by submitting the list of zip codes on GMB.
It simply starts with “Do you want to add a location customers can visit, like a store or office?” while creating your GMB account. It will then show you options that are tailored to fit the needs of a mobile business. But in case you already have an account on GMB, you can edit it from the dashboard.
The best part about this feature is – it allows the business owners to separately edit the storefront and service area. So, in case you have a physical location and also provide mobile services, you can highlight both on the SERP and Map.
Just in case your address isn’t applicable to your business, you can simply clear it. But will there be any downside to it? These points might be able to answer your question.
1. Clearing your address will turn your listing into a service area business which will remove the directions icon, remove the maps pin, remove the listing from the Google Maps API and hide your address from the public.
2. If you’re a service area business and your address was automatically cleared by Google, don’t try to add it back. If you attempt to do so, you’ll be required to reverify it.
3. In spite of your “missing” address, Google still knows where you are but they hide your address from the public.
4. The old service area radius is replaced with a list of zip codes or cities.
5. Rankings are still based on your address (whether you like it or not).
6. If you move, you should add your new address back, reverify it, then clear it. Otherwise, your ranking will be based on the old address.
If you or your client’s business can benefit from the service area feature, make sure you read Google’s announcement & then head to this article for further explanation.